Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Optimal Shoe Storage

I love shoes!! Flip flops, stilettos, tennis shoes... you name it!! The problem is... when you have such an infatuation, you must come up with a way to store them all. My closet (yes, my closet... Jason has his own) has wired shelving around the top. I invested in lots of clear 6 quart shoe containers that go around that top shelf of my closet. I stacked one on top of a another to double the storage space. In most boxes, I can fit more than one pair of shoes, which is also a plus. I grouped them together (leopard print peep toes are not all that practical for everyday use) and put more frequently used shoes in the middle. I also had to invest in a step stool so that I was able to appreciate this organizational tool. I like this one from Ikea because it safely gives me a bonus foot of height! ($5.99)
The hanging shoe organizer is another way that I can make the most of my closet space. Just like with the boxes, I can usually fit more than one pair of shoes in each pocket (especially flip flops). I tend to keep the shoes that I use more frequently here and change them out depending on the season.

I try to only have the number of pairs of shoes that will fit in the boxes, meaning that when a new pair comes, another must be purged. I do recommend keeping the boxes that boots come in to store them inside when not in use. These boxes can be stored nicely on a closet floor (even underneath hanging pants) or under the bed. You could even go so far as to stuff newspaper inside your boots to help absorb moisture and retain the boots' shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment