Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back-to-School Crafting

I saw these adorable picture frames for sale that were covered with colored pencils. I was pretty sure I could make something like it for a lot less.

This would probably also work with crayons as well. I picked up a pack of colored pencils. (Target had them on sale for 75 cents each AND you got a free 24 box of crayons... BONUS!!) You'll also need a plain picture frame, scissors, a coarse nail file or sandpaper, and some type of strong adhesive. Glue guns are cumbersome, so I prefer to use Zots adhesives. They are super sticky and easy to use. I used them on tons of things for the wedding from invitations to the flower girl's basket.


I started sticking the colored pencils right on the frame with the Zots. The frame is for a 4 x 6 picture, so I had to be creative to get the whole thing covered. I scored the pencils with scissors where I wanted to cut them and then cut at the pencil until it was ready to break off. The break was relatively even, but I wanted to smooth the rough edge. I didn't have any sandpaper handy, so I used a coarse old nail file. It worked just as well!



The outcome is very cute, and at a fraction of the cost!

1 comment:

  1. Adorable. Would be cute with a bigger frame too, showing off your kids artwork inside! What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete